What’s On

The Friends of Minerva will be presenting ‘The Magic of the Harp Concert’ in the Minerva Space on Sunday July...

Talks commence at 5.30pm,preceded by wine & cheese from 5.00 pm in the Humffray Room. Members $6.00 Non-Members $10.00. August...

 DSC_0157

A Brief History of the Institute
The Institute was established in 1859 in the top floor of the Ballarat Fire Brigade in Barkly Street. On the 28th September, 1860 a foundation stone was laid at the rear of the present building.
According to the Ballarat Star a crowd of 10,000 people attended the ceremony.By 1869 the Institute consisted of four floors, shops on the ground floor, a grand entrance with a library on the second floor and a museum on the top floor.

Bookmark and Share